“It is vitally important to take care of your teeth and gums in between visits to the dentist and hygienist. It is also important to look after the treatment you receive.”
We have gathered some tips from dentists in the Hertfordshire area to see what we can do at home to maintain good gum health. Find out more about gum health.
Please get in touch with IBS Support Forum if you would like more information on general dentistry.
Top tips for a healthier mouth:
- Use a toothbrush with a small head
- Use a toothbrush with medium textured nylon bristles
- Use a small amount of fluoride toothpaste
- Thoroughly brush for 2 minutes as least twice a day
- Remember to concentrate on the area where teeth meet the gums
- Use tepee brushes or floss to clean between your teeth
- If necessary, use disclosing tablets to help identify areas of the mouth which need more attention
- Watch the number of sugary snacks and drinks you have between meals
How to conduct regular gum health checks at home:
First brush your teeth thoroughly, looking in the mirror, making sure the bristles get right under the gum edges. (If you don’t touch the gum you may be fooled into thinking that all is well) Now, check your toothbrush – is there any blood?
Next step. When you are looking in the mirror put your fingertip on the edge of each tooth, one by one and try and move the tooth back and forth. So any teeth move visibly? Can you chew hard food without difficulty?
If you have noticed any of these symptoms, we recommend visiting a dental hygienist so they can successfully diagnose any issues. From here, they are able to offer the right treatment, leading to your oral health becoming immaculate. You can find more information about dental hygiene from a Bishops Stortford dentist by visiting this website.